Review: The Haunting of Hill House

by - January 27, 2019

The Haunting of Hill House The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'll be honest: I went into this book having great expectations, seeing as I've been hearing how supposedly terrifying the Netflix version was.
And well, you know I'm always up for a good scare... reading-wise.

So imagine my confusion when I only had about a quarter left of the book, and there was still nothing terrifying. Spooky, sure, but nothing remotely terrifying .

That isn't to say that this had been a total fluke, of course. The plot was very immersive, and on more than one occasion, I found myself reading further than I had planned.
When we were first introduced to Eleanor, we were told that she was 32 years old. However, her imagination seemed to be that of a child, almost - daydreaming about fairies and another world. She even seemed a bit immature, almost, in her way of thinking. But she reminded me a bit of myself in her shy, socially-awkward ways, so I suppose I sort of related to her in a way. Mrs Dudley, on the other hand, was a peculiar character. And for a while, I was sure she had something to do with the haunting and/or goings-on in Hill House. But then there was a scene where Mrs Dudley seemed to actually be talking properly, to another character I've grown a dislike for, instead of her usual monotonous patter. So apparently she's one for normal conversations too eh?


Upon finishing the book, I was even more confused.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a complete wuss when it comes to horror movies; I hate them, because I get scared so easily and it tends to stick with me for longer than it should. But the reaction people gave to the Netflix version and my reaction upon finishing the book was two completely different ones!
And then I searched it up and turns out that the Netflix version had been different; for one, it referred more to the Crain family (I had been wondering why people were saying they 'felt for Theodora' when the book plot never referenced anything that might suggest that), Luke, Elanor and Theo had also been made 'Crains', and Doctor Montague is not in the picture.

Overall the book was okay. There were parts that were... I'd say eerie/creepy. But definitely not scary.

View all my reviews

You May Also Like

0 comments