Review: The Dead Ex

by - January 18, 2019

The Dead Ex: HE CHEATED. HE LIED. HE DIED.The Dead Ex: HE CHEATED. HE LIED. HE DIED. by Jane Corry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m not happy with how long it took me to finish this. In fact, I had half a mind to give it up; but the nagging in my brain told me to just finish it and be done with it... and in part because the stubborn side of me just hates ditching a book - and I only do so if/when I find that I just really, really can’t seem to latch on to the story.

For a good half of the book, it had trouble piquing my interest. I was disappointed, as the synopsis sounded promising. But it was emotionally heavy from the off - not in the sense that it makes you cry, but the story heaps on so many negative emotions that I felt mentally drained... and I mean that in the highest praise possible.

The story initially goes back and forth between the protagonist Vicki’s point of view and a little 8-year old girl called Scarlet. I knew that their stories would eventually coincide with each other (as they do), but when they’re first introduced, they couldn’t have been more different characters. And you soon learn that the little game that Scarlet and her mother plays is actually more sinister than Scarlet is aware of.

Halfway into the story, one character’s point of view ‘disappears’, and another takes its place out of the blue. That initially confused me too.

I mentioned earlier that I just couldn’t seem to latch on to the story. Fortunately, it eventually did rather later on.

And then came the punches.

Along the story, I kind of suspected what had happened and the whodunits. And I was proved right.

And then I was proved wrong.

Yes, the author messes with your mind and makes you think your assumptions were right... and then she throws a curveball.

Oh I’m sorry, I mean several curveballs.

Now you may wonder, why a 4-star rating then instead of a 5?
Well... as amazing a book as this was, it just wasn’t my cup of tea. Corry is an amazing writer, as this book proves - no doubt about that. But plot-wise, it’s just not my thing.

I think this is the first book I’ve ever read that wasn’t my cup of tea, but I’m still able to appreciate the undeniable talent of the author.

A first for everything, eh?


View all my reviews

You May Also Like

0 comments