Review: Northanger Abbey

by - July 11, 2016

Northanger Abbey Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

... Soooo I think it's safe to say that this has been the longest it ever took me to read a book; no less a book of this size!
My reason for doing so is (unfortunately) simple: it was boring.
Just a few notches shy of me actually giving up on finishing it (I came close to it), actually; which is sad because it's a Jane Austen novel!!
As a fan of classical novels, I find that this was rather disappointing. The title of the book is, I find, also rather misleading. The reader would suppose that the main plot of the story would revolve around Northanger Abbey (or at least be a huge part of the story), as the title suggests. However, mentions of the Abbey only came up more than halfway through the book. Compared to the first half of the book (which consisted mostly of Catherine & James Morland and John & Isabella Thorpe's antics in Bath), I'd say that Northanger was only part of the story.
Also, I felt that they left some strings untied; namely what happened to James and Isabella, and what about those contradicting letters that they sent to Catherine?? It may be just me, but I felt like there was no conclusion to it. Who was telling the truth, and why did the other lie?
If anyone has answers, feel free to let me know.

View all my reviews

You May Also Like

0 comments