Review: A Cold Legacy

by - November 21, 2018

A Cold Legacy A Cold Legacy by Megan Shepherd
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Let me start off by saying that I never knew this book was the third in a trilogy until I got to the acknowledgements at the end. No wonder the story seemed to have started off a bit 'in-the-middle-of-something'. Though, if I'm being completely and utterly honest, it wouldn't have made a difference. Nothing too important is lost by not reading the previous two books beforehand.

As I mentioned, the first chapter itself has already introduced all the main characters, and they seemed to already be in the middle of something. Immediately sticking out like a bit of a sore thumb to me though, had been their names. Montgomery James? Juliet Moreau? (Really? Might as well have gone all the way and made her a Montague) BALTHAZAR?? Personally, I admit that I cringed when I first read it. Although the reason of naming had been mentioned later on in the book, naming them after Shakespeare's characters (although I hadn't realised it at the time that I was reading) seemed to make it a bit... unreal to me, as if the author had wanted them to sound fancy, and failing. (Because who names their kid 'Montgomery' anymore?)

Initially, the little synopsis at the back of the book caught my attention. But about a quarter of the way through, I started doubting if I had been wrong about the book and if I would actually finish it. I pushed through more due to the fact that I hadn't wanted to start reading it and then abandon it so quickly (if I could help it) rather than because the story had intrigued me.
Halfway through, it felt as if I could almost guess how it ends. It seemed too predictable.

BUT THEN IT WASN'T.

I found myself being pleasantly surprised at the turn of events, and from then on, it was gripping. It took me several weeks to even reach a little more than half the book, and then 2 days to finish the rest.

All in all, it was okay. I wouldn't say it was bad, nor will I say it was great. I'm glad I finished it, though I know for a fact that it's not something I would re-read either. It keeps you entertained if you're bored, is what I'm saying.

View all my reviews

You May Also Like

0 comments