Review: Room

by - December 03, 2015

Room Room by Emma Donoghue
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have mixed feelings about this book, but I guess it's not in a bad way. For me, the first 100 or so pages didn't intrigue me much, but I continued because I had read from a site that apparently, this book was good.

Jack is a five year old boy stuck in a single, locked room with his Ma. Literally. Everything from their toilet, bath, kitchen, living room and bedroom are quite literally in the same space. The book was written entirely in Jack's perspective. For his age though, his vocabulary could easily rival a 7 or 8 year old, and his thinking is can be so mature beyond his age that sometimes, I forget he's only 5.

Throughout the book, there were many instances where I admit that I got a bit annoyed with Jack's reactions (being a grammar nazi, certain things he said, or rather; the way he put some words together, made my eye twitch a little...- I know he's supposed to be a kid and it's written in his point of view, but... I guess I wasn't used to reading books that way). But then I had to remind myself that Jack was a toddler who had lived his life in the confined room, believing that anything outside of the four walls were not real. Like when he was afraid of the wind and rain, I had to remind myself that he was experiencing all of this for the first time in his life, and how scary it had to be in itself, no less for a toddler.

However, I thought their escape had been a little too easy and short. To be stuck for that long in Room, I'd have expected a more careful and very well thought-out plan.

Final verdict of the book is that I don't hate it, but I don't exactly LOVE it either. To be frank, it's 'just another book' for me.

You May Also Like

0 comments