Review: The Long Walk

by - September 19, 2018

The Long Walk The Long Walk by Richard Bachman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I usually take my time to read my books. But for some reason, I was quite addicted to this one, although the plot is fairly simple: A long walk.

Ray Garraty and 99 other teenage boys are taking part in the annual Long Walk. Participants have to walk at least 4 miles and hour minimum, and three strikes and you're out... permanently.
Literally.
They are not allowed to stand still, sit, or even rest.
Yes, they literally have to keep walking for days on end, come rain or shine, until only one is left standing. That person will win The Prize: literally anything their heart desires.
Throughout their journey, they're not allowed any outside help whatsoever, and while they can request for as many canteens of water as they like, they are only given one belt of food concentrates per day, most of it coming out of tubes in the form of paste or in jars (that's HARDLY enough to fully satiate someone in an activity as intense/taxing as this).

First of all, I get tired just READING about it. I'm not the least bit athletic, so I don't think I would even last a whole day on my feet. Hell, I wouldn't be crazy enough to even think of signing up for it in the first place. And food concentrates ?? The greedy pig in me would probably need at least 3 belts a day. =3

The ending result is pretty predictable, though I'm surprised that this book does not have the little twists that Stephen King (or in this case, Richard Bachman,) is so famous for (unless you count that teeny tiny revelation towards the end).

View all my reviews

You May Also Like

0 comments