Review: The Turn of the Screw

by - March 29, 2018

The Turn of the Screw The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I wasn't... scared, per se. Creeped out, yes.

I must admit that I expected for there to be a twist at the end. I suspected that things were not as they seemed as I was reading it. When you have two siblings who can see ghosts of the previous governess and driver (whom they are well aware of are dead); and whom don't really seem to mind at all, things sound fishy.

Also when they are described as very pretty/handsome, full of charm, and seem to be of close to no trouble at all, you know that something isn't quite right (because let's face it, kids are not that well behaved; even back then). My original guess (from reading the synopsis at the back of the book) was that perhaps the ghosts and the kids are plotting something over the new governess. I won't say if I'm right or wrong; I'll let you read it and see. ;)

The ending seemed to be open-ended. I have quite a few questions regarding the ending, namely: (highlight for spoilers!)

1) What happened to Flora & Mrs Grose?
2) Did they just up and left and never came back to Bly?
3) WTF HAPPENED TO MILES?? Why the heck did he just drop dead?!
4) What became of the other workers there?


Other than that, seeing as it was only 143 pages long, it was a nice, light read.


View all my reviews

You May Also Like

0 comments