Review: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto

by - November 16, 2017

*WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS, WHICH I WILL HIGHLIGHT OFF* 

The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Firstly, let me just say: what's a Mitch Albom book if it doesn't make you cry, eh? And I can proudly say that I now own ALL of Mitch Albom's books! *throws confetti*

Ahem. Ok, now for the review.

Let me just say that I applaud Mitch for the depth of the subject in which he writes about. All his books tackle different topics, and he tells it as if he's a master of them. Because come on, if someone like me who isn't too familiar with music, composers, chords and whatnot, tell me you did not look up at least one of the pieces mentioned in this book. I dare you.

The story begins and is told by Music, at Frankie's funeral. Actual artistes also give their 'rendition' of how they knew Frankie Presto, compiling the story of his life. Since the beginning, you can't help feeling sorry for Frankie. He has to overcome obstacles all his life, and just when things seem to be looking up, something happens that turns him into ruins again. And all that since he was a baby, mind. All he seemed to know was heartache and pain, and yet, he was hopeful. However, as he grew up, he grew less and less optimistic. I think that very clearly explains how different a kid and an adult's perspectives are.

I admired his persistence to find Aurora. I admired her for staying with him too, despite everything. At first, I couldn't stand that she kept disappearing when she's had enough of him, yet appear again a few years later, only to do the same thing numerous times. I was frustrated that she still came back so many times.
But then I realized: she must have loved him that much. She left for a few years, hoping that he'd get his shit together before coming back to him. So I must applaud her for even coming back, after all he had put her through.

The most beautiful part, in my opinion, is at the end when everything comes together. All the missing pieces are put in place, and it ends on such a beautiful but sad note.

View all my reviews

You May Also Like

0 comments