Review: The Scorch Trials

by - October 27, 2016

The Scorch Trials The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First of all let me just say that I wasn't aware of how different the books and movies were until I read the book. Initially, I started with Scorch Trials, thinking that since I've seen the first movie I didn't want to waste time re-reading the first book. But about 3 chapters in, I realised the stark difference between the movie (I saw the first AND second movie before reading the books) and the book. I was confused with the book at first because I hadn't remembered such a scene in the movie.

So I went back to read the first book first.

Long story short, I think I much prefer the books. There were more 'actions', per se. A LOT of details had been left out in the movie that it could've been a completely different movie with similar characters.

At the beginning of the book, there isn't too much action. Made me wonder about what Rat Man said about the Trials being much harder than the Maze. But when the action started, it literally never stopped until the last page. And even that was left in a cliffhanger.

The part that got to me most had to be the last bit with Thomas & Teresa. I couldn't help but agree with Thomas, and sided him in his justifications (without giving too much away!) I liked how Dashner had me in a constant dilemma as to if we could trust this character or not. It was playing in my head, and I could relate to Thomas' emotion at that time.

Overall this was a much 'heavier' read than the first book, as I think this was because it had more happenings rather than when they were in the Maze, where their main concern had been the Grievers and solving the maze.

View all my reviews

You May Also Like

0 comments