Review: Emma

by - August 11, 2015

Emma Emma by Jane Austen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I can say that I'm very glad to have finished this book. Before reading it, I've heard praises of it being 'Jane's best work' and so I guess I should be forgiven if I began reading it with extremely high hopes, being a fan of Jane's work.
However, I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed. Sure, I sort of had a liking to Mr Knightley, (as probably was to be expected), but I felt that the storyline dragged on a bit. Though I must say I prefer Emma to Wuthering Heights due to the surprises towards the end.
On a more personal note, (*RANT ALERT*) I think I've finally found why I like classics so much. Other than the obvious of the men being gentlemen, I think it's the fact that courtship was so simple back then. When you fall in love with someone, you pursued them. If affections were returned, the next step would be to plan marriage; and cheating was an abomination. In a world and time where cheating (not just physically, but mentally and emotionally) is so common that it's considered 'normal' today, I find solace in classics. Or maybe I'm just a bitter bitch because I get cheated on so often for being too nice and too understanding. Ah well.

You May Also Like

0 comments