Review: Being Extraordinary: How to Live Life on Purpose

by - May 04, 2015

Being Extraordinary: How to Live Life on PurposeBeing Extraordinary: How to Live Life on Purpose by Ian Lock
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Let me start off by saying that I love reading self-help books. Not because I need help, but more so because I'm always looking for more ways to improve my life. I bought Ian's book with the hope that it would add to that knowledge.

However, I was disappointed. A huge part of that was due to the amount of punctuation errors in the book. There were some passages I had to re-read because I couldn't understand it the first time. Reading the book also felt like reading someone else's blogpost, rather than a book about 'how to live life on purpose'.

Many times in the book when Ian asks to state our 'purpose' or our 'impact', for example, he gives readers examples by extensively writing about his purpose or impact. While that is good to some to serve as an example, it was not my cup of tea. In my honest opinion, people buy self-help books to be taught to think and explore their unique, different ideas, rather than be told how it should look like.

Then again, I may be wrong too, but that's just me putting my two cents in. If I had the choice, I wouldn't have bought this book. In the beginning, I tried scanning the barcode using Goodreads' app, and it couldn't detect the barcode or ISBN no matter how many times I scanned it. I even typed the title and author manually to no result. It was when I started throwing random keywords from the title that I even managed to come across this.

Anyhow, I have never given a book a one-star rating before, I think, but ah well... First for everything I guess, eh?

You May Also Like

0 comments