Review : Jane Eyre

by - March 05, 2014

 Jane EyreJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So yeah, I finished it.
UGH.
I just... I can't with this book.

The first 15 chapters or so are okay; basically just building up on Jane and her life at Gateshead, Lowood, and then Thornfield.. And THEN it gets interesting.

And I mean really interesting.

I've always had soft spots for the male protagonists in olden novels like these (Darcey, Rochester, etc), and I'm betting it's mostly because they're normally portrayed as rich, romantic, and gentlemen-y. I wouldn't say 'handsome', because in Jane Eyre Mr Rochester is described as not exactly fitting the bill as a 'handsome' fellow.

But MY GOD. I've heard of this book and I actually just happened to pick it up at a book fair last year (Big Bad Wolf) just because the synopsis at the back of the book seemed interesting, and I had wanted to get as many books as I could, and hey, it was a period book. I love stories set in those eras.

But I didn't expect to love it as much as I do.

Seriously.

I was over the moon as I came towards the end of Chapter 23, (I actually screamed and kicked around as I read it on my bed; I SHIT YOU NOT) and at the second to last chapter, Chapter 27, I CRIED. I FREAKING SOBBED as I was reading it.

I truly felt Mr Rochester's heartaches, and Jane's hardship. I shipped them so hard (too much Tumblr, so sue me for the language) and, well... to avoid spoilers, let's just say there was a moment where both were so stubborn I felt like reaching in the book and just smashing their heads together. UGHH.

Just like The Last Song, this book will probably leave its effect on me for days after I've finished.

But it's a contented feeling. I finished it with a smile, and a feeling that everything fell into place nicely and that it all worked out as it should. I'm happy with this book.

VERY happy.

A feeling something only being a bibliophile can bring. <3 data-blogger-escaped-br="">
Yes, way better than sex.
Unless, of course, it's with Tom Hiddleston or Benedict Cumberbatch.
Or BOTH.
But still.

Next book: Life Without Limits! =D

You May Also Like

0 comments